View Single Post
Old 08-18-12, 09:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic
i misunderstood your first post. so you're saying the derailleur is not moving far enough because the black knob is not correctly installed? I don't see how it's upside down. All you need to do is turn it and make it fit.
No the black plastic part is in roughly the right place. It's the head of the of the metal barrel adjuster that's in the way. The adjuster has to be reversed so the head is inside the plastic knob it works with.

Take a look at the adjuster assembly to the right here. Or look at any derailleur and note that the fatter part (head) of the adjuster holds the end of the housing, with the smaller end going into the derailleur from the outside toward the anchor bolt like the similar derailleur pictured here. Note the rim of the head of the metal adjuster unit peeking though the top of the plastic knob.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-18-12 at 09:36 PM.