View Single Post
Old 08-19-12, 09:56 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Yep. We took one look at that one ... and said, "Absolutely Not" and kept moving. And from the piles of beer and wine bottles everywhere when we came through the next day ... I think we made the right decision.

I suspect I'm spoiled by Canadian and Australian campgrounds. Quiet campgrounds, with shade, and often individual sites for tents, rather than having to set up in a general grassed area with no shade all crammed in with numerous other campers. And some campgrounds in Canada have a Zero Alcohol policy.
We're not wowsers by any stretch, but the binge culture at campgrounds in Germany has really got us down. It's happened on two Saturday nights in a row, where the drunks have partied on, and on and on into the night. It terrified Machka a week ago to the point where she doesn't want to camp anymore, and it happened again last night when the noise was less threatening, but annoying at 1.30am when we were dog tired.

And for my efforts in letting the campground staff know about it this morning, the female campground manager basically abused me.

Frankly, Germany and the Rhine Route has not been as happy an experience as it might have been, and especially when compared with the grace and courtesy of the Taiwanese and Japanese, and the downright friendliness of the Scottish and Dutch.