Old 08-19-12, 08:03 PM
bjtesch

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
rant- proglems getting my cogs working

My road bikes had been working well for a number of years so I had forgotten all the intricacies of freewheel cog wear vs. chain wear.

Since I totaled my road bike I'm riding my "garage sale" Trek hybrid. It came with this monster 13-34 freewheel. I had a couple of 13-21 freewheels from my road bikes so I put one of them on, the 16 and 18 cogs were welcome additions. It worked reasonably well but I apparently used the 16 the most and got chain skipping on it. Tried the other 13-21 with the same result. I measured the chain and it was +1/16" or maybe a bit more so I put on a new Hyperglide chain. Now it skips on most of the cogs. I didn't realize that my chains and freewheels had worn together so much on my road bikes. I put the original pizza freewheel back on for my ride today. I have 2 or 3 old freewheels that I haven't tried yet, including a 13-19 straight block. I'm going to try that one next, it would be pretty interesting to have a straight block on something that looks like a mountain bike.