View Single Post
Old 08-20-12, 05:08 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Like most other saddles, you either fit the turbo or not. I happen to be one that does fit it pretty well and have liked them very much on my bikes since the 80's.
The Turbo predated the S.S. Marco Regal as the most popular saddle when the Turbo pretty much dominated other saddles as being the ones used by most of the top pro riders in the early to mid 80's. Whole teams had them on their bikes and it was on every bike you saw in races and featured bikes in the magazines had it. The Concor was also popular, but more people found them as hard to fit to a55 hatchets than the Turbo, so it was just a second to the Turbo in terms of popularity.
As to the point of the perforations. I think there is a slight benefit with them providing a bit of breathing between you bottom and the saddle as they act as tiny breaks of contact between your riding shorts and the saddle that is not present with smooth leather saddles. As for the suede version of the saddles, the suede provides a bit of breathing and traction that some riders like to get get a bit of contact leverage from the saddle, but then the suede texture does not last longer than a half season's riding before the top of the saddle will be smoothed and poilshed from friction from your riding shorts.
The re-issued Turbos are a good bargain that is usually just about half the price of the re-issued Concors which usually goes for just under $100.00. Most likely because its covers are not made from real leather, but of either fabric stretch material or imitation leather called "Lorica". Thus the cheaper price than Concors. They are also made Asia (China or Vietnam, I think) while the Concors, I believe, are still made in Italy.

Chombi

Last edited by Chombi; 08-21-12 at 11:41 AM.