View Single Post
Old 08-20-12, 06:55 AM
tulip

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't consider myself disabled, but I am blind in my left eye due to a retina issue that started when I was in high school (I'm in my 40s now). I use a mirror on my bike and never wear headphones, as i rely on my hearing alot. I'm not comfortable riding or driving at night due to poor depth perception, although I have no legal restrictions on my driver's license. I cycle alot and even raced in college. My racing career was very unsuccessful--hard to race crits with only one good eye! Time trials were better, however, but I found them boring. Now I just ride for fun, commute by bike, and tour.

In non-cycling life, I have few restrictions aside from not liking night driving. In my car, I set my driver's side mirror way out so that I have full coverage between my rear and side mirrors so I can see cars on the left without left vision. No problems working and supporting myself.

My biggest issue is the possibility of losing sight in the other eye. But I've already figured that I'll just get a tandem and sign up my friends and family to ride with me. In the meantime, I'm super careful with my good eye and always wear glasses to protect it.