View Single Post
Old 08-20-12, 09:40 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by mkeller234
First, I like the way they look.

Second (and probably most importantly), I can afford a good amount of them.
+10 Its still amazing the value you get for the money on used or vintage bikes. I could either get an entry level LBS hybrid, or a high end vintage bike with beautiful detail work. My self imposed limit used to be no bike for more than what an entry level road bike sells for new ($800). I have been lowering that limit, as a lot of really nice stuff goes for about half that. Want STI? No problem, some nice bikes from the early 1990s with 8 speed 600 or DA components, lugged higher end steel frame, etc., can all be found at reasonable prices. I've been migrating my STI bikes to one of those two, as the 8 speed stuff is rebuildable, and I just like the aesthetics of those two versions.

+10 Most of the new bikes, particularly the lower level ones, all look the same to me. Separated by "bold new graphics". Boring. All have similar generic aluminum frames, SORA or below components. I think the various brands have screwed up by eliminating most of the differentiation between brands. If you are going to look generic, might as well save some cash and go to bikesdirect.

+10 Unfortunately, a lot of vintage bikes, particularly from the 1970s, were really basic. Bike companies could sell just about anything, so entry level was really bottom end. And they sold a lot more of the entry level bikes, than the higher end stuff.

+10 Compare bottom end LBS bike today with bottom end LBS from the 1970s, and the new stuff wins hands down. Consider the features of that entry bike from back then: steel seat post, steel handlebars, high ten steel frame, cottered crank, steel rims, nutted axle, many times plastic derailleurs, list goes on and on. Compare my close to 38 pound Schwinn Continental (which actually was a couple of steps UP the Schwinn product line), to entry level today. Wow.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-20-12 at 09:58 AM.