Old 08-20-12, 11:02 AM
Puget Pounder
Wookie Jesus inspires me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I think if you're enjoying the feel of those new shimano cranks you'll likely be disappointed in the feel of a 50.4 BCD crank.

Ive got a build in progress that uses a lot of the same drivetrain parts you're using here. I had it set up with 650B 32's for most of the summer but i didn't feel the fat tire magic like you get with 38-42s...they just kinda felt like a nice pair of 700x28's, which is fine, but for me pointless. Essentially I was getting the downsides of a 650B conversion with none of the benefits of wide tires that i was looking for.

Interesting Build you've got going. Thar be some long chainstays on that little beast!

Hows that Dura-Ace RD workin out with the 32T cog? I was considering trying that but the specs are only for a max of 27T so I didn't wanna push it that far without at least seeing someone else have some luck
Agreed on the tire width my alternative right now is some CLDVs, which I might throw on if I can hit the trails this summer. I can't decide whether a lower end high volume tire or a higher quality lower volume tire is better. My commute is on a paved MUP so I am content with a 32 for the time being.

The DA RD can clear the 32t on this frame. I had to take the B screw out and reverse it to get the clearance, but all is dandy!

And the CS length is an illusion with that 32mm 650B wheel. It's actually 42.5. This is a race frame with eyelets for fenders and a rack.

Last edited by Puget Pounder; 08-20-12 at 11:06 AM.