Old 08-20-12, 02:27 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Get a helmet/bike cam.

In 2009 a guy swerved a few feet to the left intentionally in order to get into open territory with half a lap to go in a training race where there are no places except first (and you get a soda or a beer for that). He took me and most of the guys around me out. I fractured my pelvis in two places, wheelchair for a while, then cane, couldn't work for about 2 months. Didn't fully recover until about March the following year. I was out $8k in wages and medical.

Another guy broke a bunch of ribs or something, the day before he was flying off to grad school.

The swerver and his two teammates swore the guy in front of him braked, forcing him to swerve to avoid him. One teammate had just pulled off and was off the back. The incident took place at the front (swerver was in the second row, as was I). Every other rider swore he swerved on purpose. He also elbowed the guy in front of me, trying to get him to move, and he yelled at the guy in front of him that if the guy didn't move he'd ride right through him.

Because of conflicting stories the swerver got to race until the end of the season, promote his race, and then served an off season 30 day suspension.

He caused a similar crash in the same venue in 2007. Just a week and a half before the 2009 incident he did the same thing in the Nutmeg State Games (I had the camera on but I was on the other side of the road - as it was I was forced off the road). THe NSG crash took out a bunch of guys, broken shoulder, screwed up knee, etc. My teammates swore off crits because of that race (and most of them quit racing in the next year or so).

I bought my current helmet cam to make sure things like that don't happen around me anymore. They don't.

I also bought cams for the cars. You know what? I've been tailgated maybe 4 times during the day since I put them on. At night it's a bit more common. Normally, around here, a tenth of a second is a good gap. Less than a car length at 40 mph is common. But behind me it's 30-40 feet, maybe more, even at traffic lights people stop 15 feet away from me. I bought the cams because I realized that once Junior was born I would get stressed over getting so tailgated. Now it's much less stressful.

Final word - I wrote an English paper on disappointment. You can guess what I used as a topic. Got an A and that class saved me from getting expelled. True story