Old 08-11-05, 04:20 PM
chalkdusty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting article and I do see the point being made, however, I wonder how many of these statisticians have been on a public school bus lately? My hats off to anyone who can handle driving a school bus. I'll handle the students in the classroom (yes, I do have an elementary classroom). But from what I have seen and my own children have experienced on their bus rides to school...there needs to be another ADULT, not just a camera, on the bus to help keep civility among the riders. Invariably, what begins on the bus gets carried over into the everyday school day, or worse. I instructed my own children about the type of behavior that I expected them to exhibit on their bus ride. Because they would not enter into the poor behavior of others, my daughter became the bus "scapegoat" and target of bullies. That carried over into the classroom and followed her through high school. Miserable school experience for her. When I began teaching at that district, I dropped my children off at their respective buildings. When she was old enough to drive, she did. Did I worry? Of course, what good parent doesn't when their child begins to drive? But she was MUCH better off away from the cretins on the bus.