Old 08-11-05, 05:46 PM
farkman

Bikes: Giant Rainier, Pavan carbon w/campy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what would you do?

I was stopped at the corner of an intersection today, waiting for the red to turn green. Just before I got the green light a jacka@# in a Ford Escape stops over the crosswalk lane. I mean COMPLETELY over it, if I would have stayed between the lines of the lane I would be blocked by his vehicle. I see this time and time again on my commute to work but this was way overboard. I made the decision right then and there to teach this guy a lesson.

I began to cross the street and when I got to the front of his car it just so happens that his headlight got in the way of my foot . I continued on my way but I looked back a few seconds later to see what his course of action would be. It seems he was not impressed and made a right turn from the center lane to chase me. I slowed down quite a bit to see what he had to say about my performance. He finally caught up to me and yelled, which is understandable, "why the fu@# did you kick my truck" to which I replied "because you were completely over the crosswalk lane." So he sped up and pulled into a driveway about 30 meters a head and began to get out of his vehicle. Thanks to the great maneuverability of a bicycle I just turned around in the opposite direction. I looked back to see him reversing into the street very quickly to make another hopeless attempt at trying to catch me. I reached the intersection that I had just crossed and turned left and went about ten meters and stopped to see what he would do next. I guess by the time he reached the intersection there were too many cars and he was stuck. I turned around again and continued in my original direction taking a few side streets just to make sure he wasn't still following me.

How would have you handled this situation? Clearly the guy doesn't care about the safety of others, which is typical of SUV drivers, not all but a good majority. I could care less if I did cause damage to his vehicle, in fact I'd be happy if I did cause damage, I'm just so sick of these clueless people that keep putting my life and the lives of others in danger because they can't follow the rules of the road and stop behind a white line. I just wonder how much faster they're going to get to their destination by pulling a head a massive 5-10 feet.