Old 08-21-12, 10:20 PM
fixed1313

Bikes: '76 Raleigh Grand Prix,' 75 Raleigh Sports, '69 - '73 Raleigh Drop Bar 3-speed, '59 Parliament, '52? Raleigh Sports, '75 Raleigh Super Course, Surly Cross Check, Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Berylbite
Beautiful bike, I like how busy is it with chrome, don't let the Purests run you down about suicide levers, derailleur hangers, stem shifters, kick stands and foam grips. All that jazz makes the bike interesting and lovable. Strive to have you own style!
Don't worry, I have my own style..............to old not to. I generally stay away from the general no no's such as turkey levers and the such but lately I have taken a liking to some of those things just because that is the way the bike came from the shop. A good example is my Grand Prix,

I would not change a thing on this bike aside from the bar tape............... I tried to keep it but just could not stand my hands slipping on the green stuff.

At any rate, still on the fence with the Schwinn. Leaning towards moving it out just to get something better but I may keep it for the winter to use as a bad weather commuter. As of now I am using the Grand Prix and I don't want to expose that to salty roads.

I think that "it rides great" is a common response to riding a new-er (to us) bike. But if you'd compare its ride to one of your finer bikes over a stressing course, where you must shift, turn, climb, accelerate and flat out burn, you'd find that it's not that great of a riding bike. That's where the dividing line is. Good enough is the enemy of better, in this example. Sell the Schwinn...be done with it.
I would agree with this statement as well, except I try to compare like bikes and what the intended purpose (my purpose) will be. I would not compare the Schwinn to my Bridgestone RB-1, of course the RB-1 rides better.......but I am not going to put racks and fenders on it and haul 30lbs of stuff to work.