Old 08-24-12, 12:17 PM
BasicJim

Bikes: Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiffrun
OP -- have your tried contacting the RBA?

Blinking tail-lights: it is my understanding that in most, if not all, states, only emergency vehicles are legally allowed to have a blinking red light on the rear.
Since the rules stated not to use blinking mode while riding with a group, I assmed that blinky lights are legal, but as you stated, a nusance to other riders. I ordered a secon light to keep on steady. Thanks for the tip about aiming them.

After reading the replies so far, I am starting to think I might not completely understand what I am getting myself in for. I have ridden several centuries this year )band did quite a few of them last year. I have never flatted (knock on wood) or had a mechanical (still knocking). I hadn't planned on taking 4 spare tubes, 4 CO2's, etc, but it sounds like I should be!

I can't fit all of that in the packs I currently have. The wife is already unhappy with my expendatures, so could someone recommend an inexpensive rear rack and bag? I really liked the looks and description of the Arkel Tailrider, but it is out of my price range for now. If I decide to do 200K, 300K, 400K, and 600K, I'll go for better bags, but right now, cheap is king.

Originally Posted by StephenH;
"You must show spare bulbs and batteries when asked."

That's from the dark ages. But if you're actually riding at night, a spare headlight is prudent- one of the ones that uses 2- AA's is good for that (and not so good for actually riding with!). And if you're using batteries, you obviously want spare batteries anyway.
I have a headlamp (Petzl Tikka Plus 2). Do you think that would be suitable for a backup or should I invest in a second mounted headlight?

Thanks EVERYONE for the input!

Jim