Old 08-25-12, 05:58 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
+ eleventy on buying a used mixte. My first C&V buy was just a few years ago, a Miyata mixte bought for my daughter to take to college. It was a 2+ hour drive to get it, from Michigan, but the bike was in near-mint condition and was only $75.

Daughter loved it and still has it, and rides it into Philadelphia from her school out on the Main Line. Certainly it doesn't have all the special things that the Public bike you have pictured does, but I think we're going to take a Brooks B67 we have on a bike here and put it on the Miyata.

As far as being a guy riding one...I don't but would have no problem doing so. And as young hipsters have no problem wearing 'girl jeans' or wearing their long hair up in a bun, riding a mixte is evidently not regarded a sign of decreased masculinity among the young folks. (Who should get off my lawn, btw.)

In Europe, most utility cycles you see on the street are some variety of step-through frame, ridden by everyone.

The mixte Big Chainring points out does look to be in amazing condition, and could make someone really happy, but is really steeply priced at $250 (half that would be more realistic) andthe 'cool chromed rims' the ad brags about are heavy and not good for stopping when wet.

Best bang for your buck is likely to be a Japanese mixte from the 80s, esp the mid to later 80s. The bike market was so competitive then that even entry level bikes had great features that would have only been on top bikes from a few years earlier.

If you don't have to worry about bang for the buck and can realistically think about a $1500 bike, please tell us what your major was so I can encourage my own kids to look into it.

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 08-25-12 at 06:13 AM.