Old 08-27-12, 12:20 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moose200x
You are wrong. The only way to quit smoking long term is to quit cold turkey. But for you, I hope you quit by gradual withdraw.

I did go for a ride this morning and I am thinking this idea was stupid. I made it one lap on a mile track and to be honest I almost had to walk the second half
The idea isn't stupid, but doing it in five weeks probably is.

Do another lap tomorrow, and another on Wednesday, and another on Thursday, and so on. What you find almost impossible today will be easier tomorrow and easier still the next day.

The crucial thing here is that you're establishing a baseline for where you are right now. That's the only place you can start from, and until you start you don't get anywhere. As you manage to cover longer distances remember how you struggled with this one mile ride. One day, and it may not be as far into the future as you think right now, you'll think of a one mile ride as being so short it's not worth getting the bike out for. Then before you know it you'll think the same about longer distances. Where at the moment you probably can't imagine being able to cycle 2 miles without stopping for a rest, over time you'll be doing 10 miles, 20 miles, 50 miles.

It won't happen overnight, but if you keep at it and chip away at it a bit at a time you'll start noticing your fitness improving and your weight reducing.