View Single Post
Old 08-28-12, 07:10 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I run standards or 52/39/30 triples on all my bikes, and I own a compact for one of them.

A compact isn't going to do a thing for you at the speeds and cadences you're talking about. Compacts give you lower gears for climbing. If that's not a problem, then you don't need a compact.

I absolutely detest compacts in 51 weeks of my usual cycling. My typical cruising speeds are in the 18-21 mph range, which makes me cross-chained in either ring. Worse, it means a front shift combined with four rear shifts when I go faster or slower. With my standard, my typical cruising speeds fall right in the sweet spot of my preferred 12-23 cassette, and I have plenty of cassette left over for faster or slower speeds.

As for climbing, I've worked long and hard and consistently on the HTFU part of it and can outclimb almost everyone I've come across on our local terrain. It was early season, but once, this old man on a standard left a racer on a compact puking on a climb. The point is that HTFU trumps gears.

In the 52nd week of the year--next week, as it happens--I ride the Highlander Cycle Tour, billed as the toughest century in the east, with up to 11,000 feet of climbing. Although I ride the metric route with only 7,500 feet of climbing. For that, I own a compact and 12-27 cassette. I'll install them on Wednesday the 5th, and remove them on Sunday the 9th.