Old 08-28-12, 07:04 PM
cal_gundert05
My name is Mike, not Cal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Small Basket Idea -- Mounted to front reflector attachment

Sometimes I need to carry a few items that don't warrant wearing my backpack, but are too bulky or heavy for the pockets of my cotton exercise shorts (which are, for the moment, staying). To do so, I've tried a few methods like stuffing them in a water bottle cage that I had lying around but don't use regularly, jamming them under my saddle in a plastic bag, or clipping my work and home keys to the rails of my saddle with a carabiner. However, these methods have their downsides, so I was considering alternatives.

TO THE POINT: What are your thoughts about mounting a small (tiny) basket of sorts to the little arm that holds up my bike's front reflector. This 'arm' is just an elongated threaded headset spacer with a bend at the end and two holes for screws that go into the back side of the reflector (which I'm not attached to--I have lights).

I suppose I'd have to be sure any attachment doesn't hit the top tube when the handlebars are turned all the way (or do I?), but for the size I'm thinking of (say, the size of those mini cereal boxes you get at hotels), that doesn't seem impossible. I believe Paul Components has a fork- or axle-mounted basket that is balanced with a spacer attachment, so it doesn't seem like a crazy idea.

Thoughts, suggestions, concerns?