Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
OK, more beginners questions.

I've scoped out a 10k TT circuit close to home. Four laps for 40k, which I aim to ride a couple of times a month as previously advised. It's a moderately technical circuit and slightly lumpy - no real climbs, but undulating sections that feel plenty taxing when I'm at threshold.
I would start at 20km. That's a good distance to learn how to pace without a big impact on fatigue. I'd wait to start on the 40k distance until you're 60 days or so out from the event, maybe a bit more.

If you can get a profile and a "mostly" wind direction, post them.

Now, I understand that ideally I want to keep the effort as consistent as possible rather than overcook it and then have to recover. The corners and gradients make that tough to do, though. Staying at full bore on the downhills isn't easy (or possible, as one approaches the corners) and obviously if one maintains a consistent effort one loses a bit of momentum on the uphill sections.
You can figure a 5-10% effort spread over/under your average wattage. More than that and you're burning matches or losing time.

1. in general (I appreciate this may vary from course to course) is it a good idea to go a little over threshold to maintain speed on the uphills? Making the ride a bit like a criss-cross interval? Or should I just swallow the loss of speed and stay patient?
You spend more time going up than coming down. So yes, go a bit over.

2. My instinct on coming out if the corners is to sprint briefly to get back up to speed asap. Good idea? Or does it make more sense to gather pace more gradually and minimise the risk of redlining?
For a 40k, no, keep momentum but don't dig hard. For a 10k, yes sprint. For a 20k...it's a moderate sprint.

Clearly, I'll be experimenting with these different approaches and seeing what seems to work best. But I'd be interested to hear the voices of experience...
Experimenting on TT pacing here is a bit like tossing out the Periodic Table and trying to figure out what constitutes elements. The Periodic Table is there. Why reinvent?

You're better off playing around with training approaches, spending that time refining your position and adaptation. And seeing IF you can stick to a pacing strategy. That's key...learning the discipline to hold the right wattage when your brain is going "hey....this is easy...let's ramp it up a bit"