Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Probably a dumb question but I will ask anyway. Do you track guys put a different cog on the other side of the wheel to save time making changes? I'm thinking about putting a 14 and 15 on my Fugi's wheel and using the wheel from the Raleigh Rush Hour with a 16 and 17. I would need to buy additional lock rings. I do have 48, 49, and 50 chain rings.

I did a sprinting workout in the 48/15 tonight and know 84" is not ideal when I'm riding 33 mph. Maybe once I develop a better spin at HC but I'm not there yet.
Yes, I have a warmup wheel with a 16 and 17 on it. On my training wheels, I will have a 14 and 15. Generally, race wheels will only allow a cog on one side.

I treat working on track bikes and changing gearing and cockpits with the same level of focus and procedure that jet airplane mechanics use. My goal is zero mechanical failures and it is easy to forget something. On your 160 meter track, it will be easy for you to pull 2Gs in the turns. That puts your weight at 370 pounds going 35 mph. So check everything carefully including the seat.