View Single Post
Old 08-30-12, 09:36 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
The results of my 2009 annual physical showed my blood pressure to be elevated, overall cholesterol at 210, my HDL, LDL and tri's were all in the crapper. I was 63, my weight was 180 pounds (I'm 5'7') and I couldn't see my feet without bending over. My doctor put me on Lisinopril for the blood pressure, told me I had to exercise and was going to put me on statins if my six month followup didn't change. The next month, my wife got me a comfort bike for my birthday, which started this crazy addiction to cycling.

At the six month followup the lipid numbers didn't change much but I convinced him to keep me off the statins and just leave me on the HBP medication. I stopped eating fast food and junk food, cut out soft drinks and cut my meal portions in half, but continued eating everything that I normally ate. In 2010, I was taken off the BP medication and my lipid numbers were much better. At last years physical, my overall cholesterol was 155, triglycerides 102, LDL 90 and HDL 45. My weight is currently between 145 and 150 and I can see my feet standing straight up.

I have my annual physical next month and I'm sure the numbers will be much better than last years as I am riding more and riding harder. Moral of the story is that, in many cases, you really don't need medications to make significant changes in your health. A change in lifestyle works wonders. The only health issue I have to worry about is my leukemia, which is doing just great with oral medication.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 08-30-12 at 09:41 AM.