Old 09-02-12, 04:31 AM
Frankfast

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Not sure what the rules are in Puerto Rico, but in the US and Canada, a couple of things you should know:

It is unlawful to impose a "mandatory sidepath law." This means that even if there is a separated bike path next to the road, you are permitted to ride on the road (unless it's a freeway. A freeway is a "limited access road," which means that if there's an intersection on it, it's not a freeway.)

A right hook is almost always the fault of the driver making the right hook. The vehicle proceeding straight generally has the right of way over a vehicle turning. The rear ender is a totally different situation - nobody is turning.

I'd see a lawyer and collect damages. However, please note that I am not a lawyer, I'm just repeating stuff I've heard from real bicycle advocates. Anyway, my sympathies, and I hope this helps. And I'm not trying to grind any axes, just passing on information I hope is helpful.

Luis
Thank you for your comments. I knew that I was within my rights riding on the road but I wasn't going to argue with the police. I could see their attitude wasn't going to be helpful. There could be reasons for that but I would only be speculating.
I won't pursue any damages. I have a little road rash but most of the damages are in my spirit. It's very disappointing to me that such a beautiful sport can be ruined by such a stupid act. I'll start repairing today with a ride.