Old 09-04-12, 09:43 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
You will be surprised how quick your body gets bike get on the same page. The braking will quiet down. I know I hate the school bus sound, it is like a ghost, comes and goes. Once it leaves it usually stays away for a while. What gear to climb in is always a mystery. I would stay in a lower gear and just move your body forward when you start going uphill. You will spin out a few times and then find the sweetspot. When climbing on a more technical area you will have to find out what gears work best. I like the 3rd or 4th cog is I can push it. You get more motion for the pedal stroke, but you can wear out faster. Granny is a good old lady, but sometimes doesn't provide the momentum you need to get moving. Just my ideas. Congrats on the bike and trying the sport, its a blast.

Glad to know that you are reading the links and old threads. I had been riding for @15 years when I found this place. I have picked up a lot of good info. One of my favorites is pushing your front tire into turns on downhills. I had always just kind of glided downhill. Pushing the front knobs into the turn was faster and more secure, just my little tidbit of info.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.