Old 09-04-12, 10:12 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hopperja
I'm curious as to which rear light it was. I'd like to NOT use that rear light, in favor of something brighter.

This makes me think of something I've commented on several times in the commuting forum... people pay so much attention to their headlight, the more lumens the better. While, at the same time, they neglect their rear light. The fact is, generally speaking, the headlamp allows you to see and the tail lamp allows you to be seen. Yes, I know there are exceptions, and have almost been hit by my share of left-turners. That being said, I always suggest people invest their money in the best tail light they can afford, then think about the head light. For the past few years, my tail light of choice has been the DiNotte 140L.
I see many cyclists that are using taillight flashers that are really weak, no doubt resulting from depleted batteries. This could have been the case for this incident. Since this has happened to me too, I like to run multiple lights for redundancy in case one light fails. I now have a dynohub with an always on tail light so it's not a big issue any more, but I still run multiple flashers.

-G