Old 09-04-12, 08:16 PM
justin_nj

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex, 2001 Specialized Expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg T
Just wondering what you guys and gals all ride. I looking for a new bike I'm unsure what to get yet. I'm just go for bike rides with the kids so I don't need an expensive bike but I want a good bike not a walmart bike all though they do sell Schwinn bikes witch are ok too.
Greg,

Please do your body a big favor and don't buy a walmart bicycle. Bicycle's need to be sized to your body and going into a big box store and grabbing a 'mountain bike' with a 26" wheel doesn't mean the bike will fit you correctly. When the bike is sized for you, you'll be more comfortable riding, less likely to get hurt and will surely ride the bike more often.

Go to your local bike store and tell them where you plan to ride the bike (road, trail, city or a combination of places) and they can help give you choose the correct bike for your riding needs and then fit you on the correct size bike.

Take a look at Specialized's Crossroads. Price range from about 400 to 650 or so depending on how you equip the bike. The bike will take you around town and some light trails and is designed for comfort.

Go up 1 step to a Specialized Crosstrail. Can still be used to bike around town but more agressive 'mountain bike' style which can be used for a bit more aggressive offroad ability and range of configurations. Priced from mid-500's to close to $2000.

With that said, my wife and I have Specialized Expeditions that we purchased 10 years ago. Back then, that model was similar to the current Crosstrail. Now the expedition is another good choice for 'around town' and some bike paths but a very different bike than the model we have.

Since you asked, my wife and I also have nice road bikes used for a very different purpose than a ride around the neighborhood or down the bike trail with the kids.