Thread: cracked lug
View Single Post
Old 09-08-12, 12:30 AM
Falanx
THE Materials Oracle

Bikes: Univega Alpina 5.1 that became a 5.9, that became a road bike... DMR TrailStar custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What Unterhausen is saying is that price is irrelevant, corners were cut in the heyday of pathological bicycle demand, just as they always have been with the car industry (even more, ironically, now, when we know we shouldn't, have all these years of design experience and empirical materials knowledge... but don't get me started on Ford Europe hehe). I'm not sure that's actually an unnoticed fault, as an intentional 'design feature'* at the seatstay-dropout joint.

If the toptube hasn't met the seat tube in that lug then I'd expect the crack to be a different geometry, too, unless some cretin cut the tube off square. And there's not quite hitting the bottom, as opposed to only poking it in halfway, as the bishop said to the actress. That should be reflected in the rest of the main triangle angles being off kilter, because nothing would fit right then.

Has anyone got access to an X-Ray machine? I never felt comfortable with destructive analysis...

*not a bug ;-)