Old 09-09-12, 04:41 PM
lancele

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey

Here's where I'm at so far:

#1. The bike HAS to be a steel frame. Even if other materials could, perhaps, fill the niche, Steel is just the safe bet.

#2. I need to use 26" wheels so I can replace them if necessary.
Max,

I think it's good to listen to recommendations because you asked for them, but please don't confine yourself to steel and 26-inch wheels. That's what I have, but I wouldn't limit myself to them.

Recommendations here generally migrate towards steel, 26-inch wheels and then possibly a Brooks saddle, Schwalbe tires, quill stem, and cantilever brakes. Next will probably be whether to use racks/panniers or a trailer system. How about neither. Another option is sacks, frame bags, and straps with our without a rack, especially if going ultralight or missing bike mounting points. (See link below.) I like what you did with the Raleigh Townsend for your recent tour. Ride and tour based on your own style and the knowledge you accumulated.

Originally Posted by mdilthey
Here's what I still need help understanding, if anyone has some experience. This is the only question I've got left: Buying wheels: do they need to be handbuilt? What types of wheels are specifically designed for bikepacking and what are they made of?
If you are going lightweight, you probably don't need custom wheels although they are probably nice to have. Rims probably do matter to some extent if you use rim brakes because they wear the rim metal.

By the way, it's little known that a 700c wheel can be mounted on an old rigid mountain bike fork with a reflector hole at the crown for road brakes. A 700c wheel for the rigid mountain bike back may require an adapter or very vertically adjustable brakes.

Speaking of bikepacking, check this site for bikepacking setups. I really like the one where rider sewed some velcro straps to a regular stuff sack for an inexpensive huge saddle bag. It doesn't appear like strapping stuff to the bike is necessarily lightweight.

-Lance