Old 09-10-12, 01:06 PM
stevepusser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I hear you about the concrete-like ground at beach sites; San Elijo was the same deal. A workaround is to put sand, rocks, or dirt in bags and tie the guy cords to them.

When you attach a shoulder strap to a pannier and take it inside with you, what's the difference between that and your messenger bag? That will eliminate any chance of theft. You don't have to commute with two panniers, one is enough, and you won't be unbalanced.

The problem I can see with the milk crate and things attached to its sides is that the weight would be high and away from the bike/rider center of gravity, possible leading to instability and high speed wobble. Ideally weight should be as low and as close to the crankset (center) as possible, at least get as much weight as possible between the axles for stability.

Group rides mean you really aren't concerned as much about hike & bike sites as a solo tourist. There are many county parks around the outskirts of LA, you'll just have to check out a guide such as "Tent Camping in Southern California".

Besides Silverwood Lake, Lake Perris SRA, south of Riverside, is a much flatter ride from San Bernadino or Riverside. It's a large reservoir that also allows swimming and has hike & bike sites. Being in the Inland Empire at lower elevation, the terrain around it is much more barren than the mountain campgrounds. There are also some non-state parks in the area, such as Lake Skinner. Past Lake Perris and Hemet, there's a big, big climb up to the state park campsite in Idyllwild, out of the valley heat and with big pine trees, also with hike and bike sites, but I don't know how adverse the group you camp with is to hills. Hills will sure make you appreciate a lighter load and double-duty gear!