Old 09-10-12, 08:51 PM
EBikeFL 

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spirit733t
thanks for all this info.. sometime in the future I will try and collect all the comments being made and put it into some form of document, so then we can use it as a guide, FAQ, problems solutions kind of thing.. this will also be good for our future plans, and i will even have nice pictures in the guide.
I think that's a great idea. Something similar to open source code where people can submit changes/additions. It will definitely need to be broken down into the various sections, i.e. lights, tires, rims, etc. and have hyperlinks to all the various vendors. The vendors and their products need to be rated as well. It shouldn't take several weeks to find all the right components if you want to build your own e-bike.

ebike how do you protect all the wires and connections, do you have any form of waterproof kind of thing?
The cargo cache is the main protector of electrical components. Everything that is susceptible to liquid damage is inside the cargo cache. This has another benefit, it leaves the bicycle frame uncluttered and looking more like a bicycle. This is the main reason why so many people are stopped in their tracks as I pass by...their eyes see a bicycle but I'm moving so fast their brains tell them it can't be. This, by the way, happened today.

it seems the kit is good and reliable but needs a bit of work to get everything secure protected and connected well, but the general main hardware is good quality...
Yes, I don't think there's any e-bike vendor that has gotten it all right. Of course, that will change when I start building e-bikes.

ebike are you using the 400 L rear dinotte light? if so how does it compare to other rear lights.... and what about front powerful lights.
No, I'm using two 1W lights I listed earlier. I find it's a lot easier to remove and attach them when they are needed. I only ride about two days of the week at night so I don't need permanent front or rear lights. I've confirmed that the front DiNotte light (XML-3) is being reflected off the front fairing. Some of the light is getting through and onto the street in front of me but a good portion is also reflected back. I have a solution in mind but it will require a longer cable extension from DiNotte.

how is the battery going, it is proving reliable and easy and safe to charge?
The Ping battery is fantastic! I wish everything could be as reliable as the Ping battery. In fact, the only bad thing is having only one.

and I hope sixiam is getting underway with his bike,
He's probably riding around as we speak. I guess he's too popular for us now. His last post mentioned he was looking for a new job.
Soylent Green is People!