Old 09-11-12, 09:11 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
About six years ago, my slightly older ('81) Trek 720 was stolen by a local bike shop while it was in for a warranty repair. (It was one of the early 720's that came with a lifetime repair-or-replace warranty). I ended up paying around $900 to get the same frame on eBay and I felt lucky to find one. The original one failed twice at the seat stay/seat tube junction, a design problem that was fixed in later years. The NOS I replaced it with also failed there, but this time I just took it to a framebuilder and had it rebuilt.

In my opinion, there isn't another bike built that is as nice as an old 720. They are classic touring machines that are also great for centuries/randonneuring. I have ridden mine on gnarly off-road fully loaded and then put tubulars on it and did an eight-hour double century. If mine got whacked by some motorist I think the only fair compensation would be a custom replacement. It's kind of like when someone crashes into a classic car: you don't go looking in the Kelly Blue Book for the appropriate compensation.

Good luck replacing your steed and I hope you have a full recovery from your injuries.