Old 09-11-12, 10:33 PM
nolken

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
To answer the last first, the chainrings on 10s cranksets are closer together than 9s, and much more than 8s. The much more is relative to what's involved, so might only be a bit over 1mm.
That's makes perfect sense as to why this is happening. I didn't get a strait forward answer on this searching the forums. thank you.
If I did get a new 10 speed crank would that more than likely solve the problem?

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Since the rings are closer the FD travel for 10s index is also less. Here's something you might try. Since your lever is a triple, set the outer ring first to shift and trim correctly with the outermost lever position. Then double shift for the inner, using the limit screw to set the inner trim position. This will give you a fair amount of cable slack on the inner, but double shifting back and forth would give you decent functionality.

Another trick that might buy you a bit of added travel, and spare you the double shift routine is to toss out the manual, and intentionally make a common mistake. Attach the cable to the opposite side of the screw (toward the fulcrum). (sequence = pinch bolt-cable-FD arm-fulcrum) This chokes up on the lever increasing the travel for the same cable movement. It usually gets you about 10-15% more travel, so it's dicey whether it's enough, but worth a shot.
These are both very good ideas. I will definitely try them for the time being until I can get a new crankset. These i'm sure will work a lot better than what i'm doing now.