Old 09-12-12, 02:50 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to get mad about cyclists' rude behavior but I have given up. For one, I don't ride many MUP's any more. It's not just the cyclists but trail runners in large packs 4 abreast, those dog walkers with 80' leads on the dog and everyone who seems to have forgotten it is a multi-use trail.

To me this is a newish behavior that affects not only MUPs but dirt trails and the road as well. Did a metric on the road this weekend and was past by several large groups - no one person called out; no one. I had no idea how many people were in the group and how long I had to hold my breathe and stay put as they rode past. We did ride along some of parts of bike trails and were past by two or three idiots who thought this was the Tour De France, flying around everyone without once calling out. All one walker had to do was turn to the left and BAM; everyone down!

Dirt trails have gotten as bad. I love riding singletrack but its a rule of etiquette never to ride beyond your ability to control the bike. Can't tell you how many times I have almost had head on collison with some idiot that thinks he is alone on the trail. and forget horse riders and walkers - they don't exist. And forget the rule the rider going uphill has the right of way; downhillers expect everyone to clear off for them.

I love the fact so many people are embracing cycling but I hate the fact so many come into the sport without learning the proper etiquette, expertise and knowledge. So many MTB riders are now tackling trails way over their heads just ruining them for everyone (tons of stutter bumps from braking).

Anyway, like I said - just don't think about it anymore... I can't control the world.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.