Old 09-12-12, 04:28 PM
PalmettoUpstate 
Verified Antique

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Velognome
Now, I've found 3/4 of a cap full from a 30w motor oil is more than enough, since you don't want a pool of oil in the BB unless you have an oil bath BB and then you would have a port and would have to worry about this. The 3/4 cap is enough to oozzz out the ends of the BB for a day or two for riding without dripping of the floor. I make it a point to wipe the area down after a ride. The oozzing never really completely stops but it is hardly anything after a week.

This sounds like the ticket to me. When you say 3/4 of a cap full what kinda cap are we talking about?

BTW, turns out that the bike I picked up for "parts" last weekend isn't a Robin Hood; it's a BSA. Built by Raleigh, there are a lot of cheaper but not-at-all-bad parts on it.

I might still make it into a loaner [for short people as it has a 19.5 inch tube]. This bike spent at least part of its life in Boulder, CO. It's a 1970 model with a 1978 City of Boulder license decal on it.

Continues to amaze me how well these bikes are built and how uber-durable they are. I don't think this little lady has ever had a wrench on her other than having a tire changed! [back gumwall tire appears to be original!]