View Single Post
Old 09-13-12, 01:06 PM
space_cowboy86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Capri FrankenBike (mid 80's?)

Found a Bike a while ago, it rides great and I am planning on keeping it for now but just out of curiosity I've been trying to get a good estimate of what it's worth. I paid 200 for it and considering all the upgrades to it I am confident that it is worth at least that. So here goes...

Raleigh Capri Frame w/ 410 tubing (mid 80's is what the seller told me)
Truvativ Isis Drive crank (double)
Bottom Bracket ???
Sram 9 speed cassette
105 rear derailleur w/ Index shifting (9 speed i assume)
Suntour LX 5000 (? scratched and hard to read) front derailleur
Dura Ace bar end shifters (9 speed w/ index shifting for rear)
Dia Compe single pivot caliper brakes (original i think)
Dia Compe drop bar brake levers (original i think)
3T drop bars
Kalloy adjustable angle stem (quill? not a thread-less)
Ultegra Hubs
Mavic Open Pro rims 700c
Continental Gatorskin 700c

Pics to come later today when I get home.... can look closer for serial numbers on any parts if that would be more helpful.

I know from research that the Capri is a pretty low end frame, but it's such a mash up of parts I have a hard time putting a price on it.
The only reason I have considered selling it is that it would be nice to have a bike with a 700c frame. This would make it easier to upgrade/replace brakes if needed. The current brakes just don't quite cut it, but if i stick to trails and not roads it's not a huge issue. The other option would be to keep this and get some extra long reach (need 70-72mm reach) dual pivot calipers (tektro r559) for this bike and maybe upgrade the levers as well and see if that improves the breaking enough. <need to stop here or I'll go on forever>

I guess my basic questions are;
What is the value of this bike?
Opinions on the bike in general?

Steve