Old 08-14-05, 08:36 PM
chalkdusty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LastPlace
chalkdusty,

Since this thread is wandering a bit I'll add another useless bit. If you are in the
market for a bike and buy into my long wheelbase theory; Trek has a model called
the 7700Fx that has a wheelbase longer than their 520 Touring model. In a perfect
world I would win the lottery and add road bars and STI shifters to one of those.
Probably couldn't keep up with the younger crowd, but what the heck, I can't do
that now.

LastPlace

In that perfect world....

I think your wheelbase theory, along with the tube angles, are the answer to my problem. I took a look at the 7700. Not sure that my back would tolerate the aluminum frame though. I've noticed lately that the steel frames seem to have gone to the high end of pricing. I'll have to sneak a ride on my son's 1500 to compare the feel of the ride.

I have only tried the no hands approach on downhills, so I have a fair amount of speed going for me (18-23mph). I have been able to ride with one hand without much wobble. I've lifted the hand off a few inches and the wobble is prominent. I've not noticed any angle to the handlebars in relation to the wheel/frame.

I've also noticed that I can not stand in the pedals on this bike to attack any hills. The bike just wants to lay down when I attempt this. Very unsettling.