Old 09-15-12, 03:40 PM
hajitosan

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.3, 2004 Trek 1000, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mechBgon
According to Trek's info, the 2004 Trek 1000 has an axle-to-crown measurement of 372.5mm. Rake is either 47mm (54cm and smaller) or 43mm (56cm and larger). There's nothing too unusual about the fork's design or the height from the brake-bolt hole to the crown-race seat. And you're correct, it's an aluminum fork, as your mechanic ought to be able to see from the gash if it's down to the metal.

Slightly-different axle-to-crown height isn't the end of the world. From what you've said here, I'd be somewhat concerned about whether the mechanic is good at cutting carbon steertubes and installing the internal reinforcement plug. If it's still not cut yet, I suggest having a 1cm spacer installed above the stem, so the stem itself isn't clamped at the end of the steertube where cracks start more easily.
thanks! i looked all over for that info, and couldn't figure out the axel-crown measurement! the rake is definitely 43mm as the mechanic confirmed after measuring. The new fork says that it's a 42mm rake, but i think at the shop he told me it'd be changing to 45mm.. as i said i'm fine with either of those, my main concern was when he started talking about dropping down the whole front end of the bike and changing the entire frame geometry.

as far as i can tell, he wouldn't be the one doing the work, but i'm not sure.. it's definitely a well known and reputable LBS though, so I'm not too worried about them screwing up the fork. There will certainly be a few spacers below the stem, maybe i should have them cut it a little bit longer to fit another spacer eh? i'm having it cut about 20mm higher than the current one, so that i can raise up the bars by a spacer and a half or so.

he saw the metal, but said something like "the aluminum goes up to about here and then it's carbon".. which did loose him a little cred in my eyes especially since i told him i knew it's aluminum and he tapped on it all up and down.

thanks for helping me research i promise i searched ha! .. thinking about going for it.