View Single Post
Old 09-15-12, 04:38 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
But when we approach an intersection with a turn lane, they take the inside! Sometimes while vehicular traffic has a green right turn arrow while we have a red light in the straight direction.

I've seen quite a few riders do this. Just a few weeks ago on our century, we were lined up (green arrows) waiting to go straight. Behind a speeding cyclist approached just as the light was about to turn green. An SUV at a red light ready to make a right hand turn. The light turned green and just the SUV launched into the right turn, the speeding cyclist squeezed though on the right between the curb and the SUV.

Luckily for the cyclist, the SUV was paying attention to his surroundings and slammed on his brakes before impact or I would have had some graphic footage and pics.

We were lined up (green stars) while the stupid lucky rider was on the right (red arrow) doing about 20 mph when he squeezed through.

turn1 by mrbeanz1, on Flickr
Beanz - at first I thought you meant that they were riding where you have the green stars on your picture as my thinking is curb is OUTSIDE and left lane is INSIDE...

So at first I thought you meant they were "inside" from the turn lane and thus to the left of the turn lane....which would be the correct way to handle this sort of traffic lane situation.