View Single Post
Old 09-15-12, 06:17 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
More from the Downeast Division

Here are some pics from the tandem ride two days ago. Plus a few gratuitous non-bike pics.

Three days ago we climbed Jordan Cliffs

to get here

The next day we did the Acadia's Park Loop Road twice.
From Otter Cliffs overlooking the Atlantic

while the bike rests

Then we had this picnic

Trees are starting to turn just in the last 2 days

Yesterday I rode the Masi around the PLR and then up Cadillac Mountain. No pics until Tuesday night or Wednesday.

The ride up Cadillac actually seemed easier than I remember, maybe because the Masi is lighter than the Raleigh. The low gearing is about the same. However as I expected my legs were very tired. On every uphill they'd hit their limit before my lungs, which isn't typical. So even though I had plenty of energy my legs just would crank. Maybe it would be smarter to go up Cadillac first and then do the 1200ft of climbing around the PLR, ya' think?

You meet some nice people on bikes. One guy came up behind us on our second time around yesterday, said hi, asked about the bike. "Shimano derailleurs?" "Nope, Simplex." "Oh wow! I see now. Cool!" He rode with us for maybe 10 minutes, slowed to our pace uphill, said he was from western Mass. where the hills were much steeper, so this seemed easy. Then he wished us well and sped on ahead.

We hit a new top speed, a shade under 40mph.