Old 09-15-12, 10:22 PM
009jim

Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by someguy1357
Hi i am thinking of riding around Australia but i don't know what i need to bring and how much money i would need. can you tell me what is the minimum amount of gear and money i'll need? also how long should it take?

If anyone can help with providing the information i would really appreciate it
It's going to be about 15-20,000 km (more than 10,000 miles). If you did an average of 50 miles per day you'll need 200 days, so maybe you should plan to take a year. People doing it in cars take 3-6 months leisurely.

I've lived in some of the most remote areas but have not done cycle touring myself. I've driven past guys who were cycling around Australia when they were at about the most remote part of the journey. You are looking at 250 miles between food and water (in those remote areas). It is hot and dry, like 120 degrees F. If you're on the main highway, there will be someone who would come by and help you if you got stranded.

You could consider riding at night, rather than daytime. I've seen guys that are brown from the sun and covered in dust/dirt. I'd assume they had to sleep by the roadside. It is quite safe by my experience.

I recommend it. You'll have a great time and it will be a real achievement. Start from my place in Brisbane if you want to.