View Single Post
Old 09-17-12, 09:53 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goose70
Seems like good advice. I think that I was falling into the trap of "I'm racing now, my job prevents me from training as much as the other guys, every engineered advantage counts!" Of course, that path takes me away from why I starting racing in the first place, which is (1) to have fun and (2) stay motivated about keeping in shape.

Bottom line and to summarize all of the advice: If I do purchase one of the above-listed bikes, it's strictly because I want a new toy, not because it's going to make a difference in my racing. And in fact, if I do make such a purchase I'd still be wise keep my 9 and continue using it for races. But most likely of all, I'll probably just keep the 9 and, if I must spend money, look for deals on select component upgrades.
We all have lives outside of cycling. In general, cyclists and bike racers are fairly ambitious people. You'd probably be surprised how many more hours you're not putting in at work than other bike racers. Race whatever you feel most comfortably and fastest on.