Old 09-17-12, 11:57 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
One for me was the top of the Mt Baw Baw climb in Australia.

Rowan and I decided to participate in the 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge last summer. This challenge is held in Victoria and takes in 7 signficant climbs in the area. One of the things that appealed to us was that a couple of the climbs were quite close to where we lived. Another thing that appealed to us was that some of the climbs were in an area we hadn't really explored yet. So we did this challenge as several hub-and-spoke tours.

The stories of the climbs are here: http://www.machka.net/2012/7PeaksChallenge_2012.htm, and there were many spectacular views along the way. Mt Hotham was very dramatic, but the the last climb we did was Mt Baw Baw.

According to the 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge booklet ...
"Ranked the second hardest climb in the world of cycling, this ride is sure to test your endurance. The ride itself has been classified as a Hors Category, the only one of its kind in Australia, and it's not hard to see why with the steepest grade at Winch Corner reported at 20.6%."

It was only 7 km long, but took some time and effort to get up. For me it was a walk some, ride some, walk some, ride some effort, but Rowan rode all the way up. When we got to the top, not only had we completed the 7 Peaks Alpine Ascent Challenge, and we were welcomed and congratulated by the staff at the resort at the top ... but the view from up there was ... breathtaking!!

The photos, of course, do not do it justice, but they give a little bit of an idea ...