View Single Post
Old 09-17-12, 05:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Just use normal household cleaners - I use the citrus version of "409" spray cleaner (actually, a store brand/generic version... but it's the same sort of stuff).

Just spray it liberally, and wipe/clean with paper towels or rags. Then, rise it with clear water and wipe it down again. I just use an empty container of the above cleaner filled with plain water.

This stuff cuts grease pretty well. But if you have a stubborn grease spot or something, just wet a rag with something stronger, like a more concentrated citrus cleaner and rub it clean. I use that on the chain rings, etc. Again, rinse if necessary.

You can clean a bike very nicely in about 5-10 minutes, unless you're OCD.... in which case, get over it!

By the way, this household cleaner, scrubbed with a cloth rag, will really clean up handlebar tape.

That's how I do it if I can't take it outside. If I wash it outside, I put it on the repair stand, put it in the back yard, remove both wheels and the chain (quick link), then use a solution of something like simple green, a soft brush and just go at it, a large soft brush for the frame, etc., and a stiffer smaller brush (tooth brush or similar) for the rear derailleur and other smaller, more greasy areas (using stronger solution if necessary). Again, this takes about 5 minutes. Then I rinse gently with the hose and let it drip dry. In the mean time, I spend a minute or so on each wheel rim the same way (cleaning solution + brush or rag, rinse), "floss" the cassette, and either change the chain for a clean one (I rotate two chains), or just give it a quick dry wipe-down.

Seriously, the indoor version can be done in 10 minutes or less, and the outdoor version probably can be done in 15 if I just keep at it and don't fuss too much. That's the key: don't fuss to much. It's a bike, not a dinner plate. I only bother to clean the fancy road bike if I'm in the "mood", but normally only after riding in the rain, or if there's visible dirt on it and it's embarassing. The cross/commuter, I only clean if it's filthy, and then, often the filth will go away with a few days of dry, clean riding.

Last edited by Camilo; 09-17-12 at 05:29 PM.