dccool879
BROKE MY BIK!!!

Bikes: ones i built

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cleaning and transporting bike on airlines

UNIMPORTANT PART: I know they have strict customs coming to nz from the usa. my bike was checked 3 times by morons (will explain why) on the way over. as they went through checking my bike they werent cautious. they lost the piece that has the 2 screws going into it to hold in my 20mm axel in the process of checking (i know cause the other one rattled out of my fork and was in my case and i double checked before that everything before leaving was there, so it mustve fallen out when they opened it) and they also didnt rebuckle all the straps. at the airport, a guy threw out my bike case, and I found unsecured straps. to my luck my bike was fine and my wheels were still true. anyways, they check it a lot, and they ask whether its a mtb or a road bike, and whether it is used so that they can check it again when you get to the country (this time they are worried about mud and not bombs.) So i gotta clean it real good cause its really dirty. It was 1 month old when i brought it, and i hadnt takenit off road much (just urban) so i just scraped the few specs of dirt off. but here i went on downhill courses that were very muddy and i'd often loose my bike from under me and slide down the mountain on my butt while it tumbled in mud baths. mud was everywhere on my bike. i totally cleaned and relubed my drivetrain because thats all that i usually do back home. so now i got a bike with mud all over the cranks, frame, tires etc. And i don't have a hose. /UNIMPORTANT PART

IMPORTANT PART: To clean mud, I could take it to a manual car wash to spray off the mud, but i'm wondering if that is going to get water in unwanted places and cause rust and squeeking? I can always bust out the old wet rags and stay away from those little places somewhat high pressure water can get into. /IMPORTANT PART