benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by punkncat
I can certainly see where doing so would help with correcting the weak leg. I have to balance that with care for the damaged knee on that side as well. My original injury had caused a great deal of damage to the knee joint itself and surgery was planned in order to straighten some things out. It turned out I was unable to move forward due to an infection of the residual, and by the time we could operate it would have required a "re" break of the knee joint to then fix it.
By this time I was already test fitting for my check socket. Going through another surgery was going to make all that worthless, aside from the fact that I hadn't tried to walk on the bad knee yet. It turned out that, in spite of the damage, the knee was operational enough that my ortho suggested I just use it till it blew out and then have the (same) surgery to fix it. His words were that once you operate, it's never the same anyway, so go with what you got.
The end result is that with a great deal of work my knee is actually pretty smooth so long as I don't put power on at certain points I have learned, lest it pops and hurts like hell, and not to use too much quad.
Yeah it's always tricky. It would be great if ther were easy answers huh? Unfortunately there are so few of us, and we all have such unique issues that it's almost like every person just has to learn from experimentation what works and doesn't.
i was a competitive racer before I got hurt, and have gotten back into racing a few times since, but I simply can't hang with able bodied guys and get discouraged, then overtrain and always seem to hurt myself. But there aren't any amputee racers local to compete with.