gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 388 Posts
Very short stem and fully loaded front panniers

I'm looking at steel (631) Dawes Sardar expedition touring bike to replace my old (1986) Diamondback Ascent on the local equivalent of ebay. I mainly use the bike for commuting/grocery shopping including heavily loading the front panniers. The Dawes has drop bars and my old Diamondback has riser bars.

The Dawes has a 56cm top-tube and I'd need to put a very short stem (80mm or less) on it so that I couldreach without stretching. The Dawes would be at the upper limit of what I can ride. My Diamondback is a very small frame, with a seatpost a mile high and I really need to put a long stem on it. I'm 169cm tall with a longish torso.

I can't afford to buy a new touring bike such as a Surly Long-Haul Trucker. The Dawes is currently the price of a Surly frameset. I had planned to put a long stem and drop bars and bar-end shifters on the Diamondback. Touring bikes are not common in New Zealand, especially second hand.

Would putting a very short stem on the Dawes adversly affect the handling so that it would be hard to control with full panniers?