Old 09-20-12, 06:26 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
I've decided to put my Garmin in my pocket at work and turn it on when I'm flying past Fremont Peak. I'll get a Strava QOM on that climb for sure. No one will get that one from me. Ever.

Okay - serious. I'm trying to wake my legs and body up after a week off (and the surgery, yada yada). I hit it hard in spin this morning - after my legs unloaded, which took 45 of the 60 minutes of the class. After the class, I got on the Look and hit it even harder for five miles. There was a significant headwind, so the workout pain was increased even more. I then rested at the B/F's place for an hour, then rode the five miles back to my house - hitting it hard again. I looked at the H/R data from the Garmin (I had the PT on, but I didn't look at the data from it), and lo and behold, my H/R average was up from what it was before the surgery, and the max is way up - from 164 to 176 (that might be wrong, but it was in the 170's). I felt NO different than how I did before the surgery, and my recovery times have improved over what they were two weeks ago. However, the heart is going faster. I can't judge power, yet, because I'm not where I was (as far as I can tell) a month ago. But, I feel better! Was I "overtrained" before I had the forced time off?
Yes, I thought you were not resting enough prior to surgery. In my case due to commitments, bike issues and weather I missed a few hard efforts. Last night I attended a cyclo cross practice at this weeks race venue. After riding the course for a couple laps to get familiar with it we did some hot laps. Do to being rested I was able to hang on the back of the A group with high Z4 - low Z5 hr. Usually I would be over my head riding their tempo pace. Being fresh is both physical and mental.

Rest allows the body to grow strong as well as recover, which is what I believe you are experiencing.