View Single Post
Old 09-20-12, 10:17 AM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
I think that might be the right decision on the Olmo. It seems like an OK bike, likely repaint, seller has been trying to get rid of it a LONG time. Overpriced, I think.

If you drive, or fancy a train ride and a weekend away, it might be worth looking at what pops up in Seattle, where framesets come up more often and often MUCH better priced (if you look at it as a weekend away, it costs nothing extra to pick up a frame; customs limits just went up, tax/duty shouldn't be a problem).

And looking elsewhere, shipped to you (~$50 shipping on a frameset from USA, plus you'll get dinged ~15% on taxes). It's nice to find a local deal, but cost/benefit in searching is definitely an issue if you're looking for f/f only...

Speaking as someone who found one frame/fork for which I overpaid handsomely and one that I think was priced fairly in about a year of devoted looking, been disappointed by wrong sizes, sketchy sellers, etc., I wouldn't extend too much hope in Vancouver classifieds yielding something 'just right' for your Super Record group. That said, it might be worth posting a 'Want to Buy' on craigslist: that's how I found my Proctor, the only reasonable deal on a frameset in my size I pulled in locally over ~365 days. Had a few other interesting bites.

In that size range, it might also be worth stopping in at Jett Grrll cycles near the Georgia St Viaduct...Tracy has some nice used Italians, sometimes (though I expect she doesn't sell them cheap).