View Single Post
Old 09-21-12, 06:35 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rubic
How interesting! Our culture is so much more individualistic and competitive than that of the Netherlands. Also, I didn't see any lycra nor helmets!
Why would anyone wear lycra for the short trips the Dutch make on their bikes? That would be akin to wearing a fire-proof suit like a motorcar racer for one of those short trips Americans make in their cars. Back when the bike modal share in Davis, CA was near 90% (three times that of Amsterdam) no one wore lycra there either, likely because most trips in that town were also quite short. Also, helmets have never been associated with high levels of bike use. If you see bikes being used for transportation, you will likely not see many helmets.

Now, I would appreciate it if you would please explain where your claim that American culture is much more individualistic and competitive than The Netherlands comes from and how that would relate to our ridiculous tendency to sit inside a motorized padded cell in order to meet our transportation desires. I seem to be missing something here.