Old 09-22-12, 03:01 AM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleDiamonDog
Thanks for your response, silyoldtwit. The D10 looks pretty cool, I'd love to check it out.

As for fast it seems that it's top end is 81.8 gear inches vs 100.0 for the standard Brompton or if speed is a priority 108.0 for the Brompton with the larger chainring selected. Seems the Brompton would still be quite a bit faster, but then again, it seems speed should not be that high on the list of criteria when judging a folding bike with 16" wheels.
I think the other main difference is the riding postion and upgradability.
Bromptoms have less cockpit space and are less adjustable for stem height. Also a standard bromptom seatpost is only good for people up to about 5foot 8 in my experience. If you add the extened seatpost the bromptom is a taller folded package than the mezzo. I own a Brompton with an extended seat post so I can see the bikes side by side !!

Another issue is that the mezzo gearing can be altered and the bike is easier to upgrade because of the standard 135mm rear axle.

My mezzo is a 27 speed dual drive bike with roadracing bullbars and racing ulterra gear/brake levers. 56 tooth front chain wheel( largest that fit it), carbon cranks, detachable spd compatible clippless pedals, upgraded brakes, slick jokack tyres and lowered handlebar stem. Its a quick beast more like a road racing bike, with similar gearing.This bike cost less than £1000 to do.

The rear luggage rack is an improvement over the brompton offering IMO. Its is quick release and the 2 options of bags are great. Being tuck in behind the rider is quicker riding than a front bag dragging through the air.

Mezzo can be bought for less money used or on offer in the UK, I got a new one for £389!

Brompton suspension makes it a comfortable pleasure ride over the mezzo. Mezzo is more at home on roads. Though a mezzo is better on a Bmx track in my experience !!!

The bikes are very similar in size folded. And the commuting experience is similar on trains so on. The front bag of a brompton makes the bike unbalanced to carry on stairs, but offers the advantage of being able to leave on when half folding the bike. Mezzo folds and unfolds quicker, but is more difficult to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2064.jpg (100.1 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by bhkyte; 09-22-12 at 03:09 AM.