Old 09-23-12, 04:17 AM
takeonafrica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In At The Cold End: What would you do?

I'm after some tips/advice/suggestions for my next trip... winter biking
The plan is to fly out to a cold place (temps could get down to -40 I've been told although climate charts give averages of -16C at night to -1C in day) in March and cycle/camp. It'll be the start of a long trip that will go into the summer so will gradually warm up and I'll also want to do some trekking!

So, if you were flying out into the cold to bike, what clothing would you take to make sure you don't freeze?! Assuming it will be hard to buy extra gear when there so you need to have enough stuff with you. But that when it warms up you will have to ship the cold gear home (as want it for following winter) and will need some lighter stuff instead. I'd rather not spend more than I have to shipping gear home and buying new stuff so if I can use as much as possible throughout the trip then that's better, but I'm not going to compromise on relative comfort/safety in the winter.

Clothing, body: all about layers I suppose. Thermal, fleece (windproof), waterproof outer, down jacket (for camping) - is that enough or would I need an extra insulating layer too when it's v cold? Similar for bottom half.
Gloves - liner, gloves, waterproof mitten over the top and also pogies
Boots - wool socks and any boot rated to -40 (or would these soon get too warm as the spring progresses) - I know Baffin/Sorel/Kamik etc do good winter boots but is there any way I could use a winter type walking boot with extra socks that I could then keep with me for trekking in the summer? Just an idea… (I'll have regular flat pedals)
Head - balaclava and hat and ski goggles.

Camping: Would one sleeping bag rated to say -32C (-25F) plus a bag rated to 0C (that I have already and could use when it gets warmer) be ok or do I need a colder-temp rated bag that I will have to send home and somewhere buy a replacement later when it's warmer?

I realise it's a difficult question as everybody copes with the cold differently. Basically, I want to make sure I have enough clothing to not be suffering for most of the time and definitely that my hands and especially feet are warm (it's the one part of me that does suffer in the cold).

I don't have any experience of real cold/snow conditions to go on, so I'll be in at the deep end with this. (Coldest til now was biking/camping in Utah in November and it got down to -13C (9F) on a couple of nights and was uncomfortable in my 0C rated bag with fleece blanket and down jacket).

Thanks for any help!! (and sorry for all the qu's in one post)