View Single Post
Old 09-24-12, 08:04 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
It was a good ride and I had a lot of fun. I didn't get lost once although a few long sections on the major roads were not marked and I felt a little unsure if we were still on the route. I think we went 2 miles one time without a single marking on the road and through 2 dozen stop lights coming out of Waukegan on the way home.

Next year I'm going to grab some real food the first couple of stops. After the second stop there was really nothing but sugary and starchy carbs. Even bananas were few and far between. I can't eat sugar and starch on a ride without crashing/bonking a half hour later. I sure wished I had one of those subs from the first two stops, plus a few power bars which were not to be seen after the second stop either. But if you liked brownies, cookies, and pretzels -or grapes, you had plenty of carb choices to chose from.

But that was my own fault for not loading up on power bars and snagging a turkey sub or two at the breakfast stop and stashing all that in my handlebar bag for lunch & dinner.