View Single Post
Old 09-25-12, 01:08 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I don't like Specialized because they bully small independent LBSs into being Concept Stores (carry only Specialized or lose their contract). Besides that, their bikes have a lot of house-brand components to keep the price down. Don't get me wrong, they make great bikes.

You really need to determine what $ amount you want to spend and then see what each brand offers at that price point. This is what I did when I was in the market for a new full-suspension bike last year. I had $2000 to spend and looked at Trek, Specialized and Santa Cruz and bought the SC. It had the best spec for the price of 3 comparable models plus it was a small factory that still had a grass roots vibe.

For major features to consider, look at the wheel sets--you can't cheaply replace them. Lighter, stronger wheels stay truer and are easier to spin (go faster easier due to lower rotational weight). Same with the shock(s)--sizeable $ to replace. Rear derailleur is key too as it takes the most abuse of most parts. Tires are fairly cheap and easy to change as is a seat or grips, so don't be as concerned with those. Good luck.